An Award-Winning Marketing & Communications Executive
Highly accomplished, results driven, and award-winning public relations, marketing, and communications professional with twenty years of executive level leadership experience. Excels at researching, developing, executing and evaluating strategic initiatives that support corporate culture, enhance brand awareness, and advance organizational goals. A strong writer, storyteller and strategic thinker with the capacity to establish, nurture and maintain relationships and communicate effectively at all levels including senior and executive level management.
Spearheaded an award-winning redesign of the San Diego Convention Center’s brand including the creation of a new agency logo, two new websites, revised print materials, digital and video branding and communications and marketing materials
Developed and mentored an award-winning team of seven marketing and public affairs professionals who excelled at issue analysis, industry research, storytelling, media relations, community outreach, social media engagement, government relations, special event collateral, publications, film/video production, talking points, FAQ’s, speeches and presentations
Led the strategic community outreach, education, and media relations efforts to successfully secure unanimous support from the California Coastal Commission for the Phase III expansion of the San Diego Convention Center
Directed comprehensive marketing initiatives to help achieve record-breaking room night goals and revenues for the San Diego Convention Center Corporation
Awarded the 2011 Silver Anvil by the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) for issue management after successfully securing public policy and media support for the expansion of the San Diego Convention Center while helping retain a top client (Comic-Con)
- Public & Media Relations
- Web Design & Digital Content
- Social Media Marketing
- Writing & Editing
- Publications & Reports
- Crisis Communications
- Personnel/Program Management
- Public Speaking & Presentations
- Budgeting & Contract Management
On Point Marketing and Public Affairs, San Diego, CA | 2016-2018
- Strategic advisor, communications, and marketing consultant for a range of private sector clients including MJE Marketing, Carol Wallace and Associates, and Fifth Avenue Landing, LLC
VICE-PRESIDENT PUBLIC AFFAIRS
San Diego Convention Center Corporation, San Diego, CA | 2006-2016
- Responsible for the creation, implementation, and measuring success of all corporate communications, including development and use of critical strategic messaging to proactively educate elected officials and other key stakeholders and positively shape public policy, build the Corporation’s brand and promote organizational awareness
- Conceptualized, prepared, and presented written and oral reports to educate, explain and justify marketing and policy initiatives to community and civic organizations, industry stakeholders, elected and appointed officials, and members of the media
- Delivered strategic counsel and executive communications support to senior leadership and the Corporation’s Board of Directors to help advance goals and objectives and to manage proactive and reactive communications
- Oversaw all marketing and communications efforts and partnered with industry, business, philanthropic and community stakeholders to enhance the Corporation’s brand identity, execute on the mission and build awareness of organizational programs and initiatives
- Authored compelling public affairs and marketing materials designed to engage audiences into taking action
- Served as the Corporation’s primary spokesperson
PUBLIC POLICY AND COMMUNICATIONS CONSULTANT
Johnson Communications, San Diego, CA | 1999-2006
- Strategic advisor, communications and public affairs consultant for a range of public and private sector clients including Hewlett-Packard Inc., the Levi Strauss Foundation, National Minority AIDS Council, Kaiser Family Foundation, San Francisco AIDS Foundation, Alliance Healthcare Foundation, African American AIDS Policy and Training Institute and the California Department of Health Service, Office of HIV/AIDS
- Partnered in the development and implementation of the first private philanthropic public health initiative to expand access to clean syringes and reduce the spread of HIV and Hepatitis C
- Successfully lobbied state officials in Sacramento and federal officials in Washington, DC on a range of public policy issues related to public health, HIV/AIDS, access to care and funding
DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC POLICY AND COMMUNICATION
Northwest AIDS Foundation, Seattle, WA | 1994-1999
- Successfully led a statewide community-based initiative to secure increased funding for the Washington State AIDS Drug Assistance Program
- Lobbied state and federal officials on HIV/AIDS care, research, and prevention programs
- Advanced strategic public policy initiatives as a co-chair of the Governor’s Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS
- Served as the Foundation’s primary spokesperson and presented on behalf of the organization in a variety of settings
- Provided strategic communications and policy direction to the executive team, donors, and elected officials. Supervised a department of eight communications professionals
2005 Master in Public Administration San Diego State University
1986 Bachelor of Science, Marketing University of Oregon
Steven B. Johnson is an award-winning public affairs and marketing professional with twenty years of executive level leadership experience developing and executing strategic communications and marketing initiatives that deliver excellence in public administration, enhance brand standing, and advance organizational goals.
From 2006-2016, Mr. Johnson was the Vice President of Public Affairs at the San Diego Convention Center Corporation (Corporation) where he oversaw corporate communications, marketing and government relations. He built an award-winning team of public affairs and marketing professions who excelled at issues analysis, industry research, media relations, social media engagement, corporate advertising, special event collateral, publications, film/video productions, talking points, speeches and presentations. The redesign and rebranding of the convention center corporation’s logo and website resulting in numerous awards including the 2015 International Creativity Awards winner for web design. Mr. Johnson led the 2013 strategic community outreach, education, and media relations efforts to successfully secure unanimous support from the California Coastal Commission for the Phase III expansion of the San Diego Convention Center. In 2011, his work to expand the San Diego Convention Center was honored by the Public Relations Society of America with its highest honor for issue management.
Mr. Johnson managed the development and production of all agency websites, publications, annual reports, business forecasts, as well as a broad range of print and digital event, sales and marketing materials. In support of such efforts, he oversaw a team that crafted a high volume of special event collateral, film/video production, talking points, FAQs, speeches and presentations. In 2010, he launched the convention center's social media channels including Facebook, Twitter and YouTube and developed a strategic plan for managing the accounts. To date, the convention center has more than 14,100 Twitter followers, 46,233 views on YouTube and nearly 20,000 Facebook likes.
As chief political and communications strategist, Mr. Johnson participated in high-level planning and strategy meetings with elected officials, architects, designers and planners, including leaders from the Port of San Diego, City of San Diego and the Corporation's Board of Directors on the ongoing operations and proposed expansion of the San Diego Convention Center. In this role, he operated in a complex political environment with a variety of stakeholders involved in long-range planning, design, inter-governmental coordination and program management. As the primary lead on the public outreach for the expansion effort, Mr. Johnson presented to more than 100 community and civic groups. Additionally, he has testified and presented before a range of policy bodies, including state legislatures and local city councils.
Before joining the Corporation, Mr. Johnson worked as a marketing and public relations consultant providing strategic counsel, marketing and public affairs services to a range of large and small companies and organizations including Hewlett Packard, Inc.; Levi Strauss Foundation; Kaiser Family Foundation; San Francisco AIDS Foundation; and the California Department of Health Service.
Over his career, Mr. Johnson has handled numerous complex and often controversial public affairs issues and projects. His early work in HIV/AIDS occurred in the mid-nineties at the height of the spreading epidemic when new medicines were not yet available. Through much of the 1990’s he served as the co-chair of the Washington State Governor’s Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS which required him to work with a diverse group of government officials, community groups, the public, and the media to gain cooperation and consensus through discussion and persuasion.
Mr. Johnson received a B.S. in Marketing from the University of Oregon and his Master’s in Public Administration from San Diego State University. He resides in San Diego with his partner, Carlos and his two dogs, Cole and Ma.